07 September 2013

Week 136 Colour Challenge

Wow we had some fabulous entries last week for our Penny Black Plays along challenge and will announce the winner of the Penny Black prize in the next few days as well as the August winner.
It's a new month which means a new sponsor and this month is the ever fabulous

Ribbon Girl

As it's the first week of the month it's time for a new colour challenge.  This month we have a very dramatic inspiration photo for you where the main colours are Dark Green and Rust.

Update: Please note we have removed the photo after finding out that it was a famous picture from national geographic from 1985.  We found the photo on pinterest where there was no reference to this. We are very sorry if any one has been offended.  You can find the story here.

The colours for this challenge are Dark Green and Rust.


I recently purchased a Silhouette Portrait cutting machine and the sentiment on this card was one of my learning experiences! In fact this card employs four techniques for cutting... trimmer (for the panel) dies (for the pennants) punch (for the flowers) and Silhouette ( for the sentiment) the only ting I didn't use was scissors!


For this I stamped a Distress pad onto an acrylic block, dropped on a few sprinkles of Perfect Pearls and then spritzed gently with water before stamping! The flowers are from Unity, coloured with a Marker pen. The sentiment is from Hero Arts.

Jen


My first card uses the leafy accents from Clearly Besotted and stamped in always artichoke and cajun craze from Stampin Up.  The sentiment is also from Clearly Besotted.


For my second card I use the same ink colours but the card is more subtle.  The stamp set is from Stampin Up and I used the markers to add the different colours.
***

12 comments:

  1. These cards and colours are just so spectacular, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that an amazing photo!!??!! I went to an exhibition of the photographers work a few years ago and his other work is just as arresting. I'll have to give this colour combo plenty of thought, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chrissie and Jen-When i saw the photograph I thought she looked very scary,then I thought she actually looks very sad.I had presumed she was an actress until the lovely Suman (one of my followers) left me this comment this morning ........

    "Hi Nessa, it is a sad photo, it is also a famous photo. This pic was on the cover of National Geographic's June 1995 issue. The "Afghan girl" touched the souls of millions as she came to symbolize the plight and the pain and the strength of her people-I feel that this pic should not have been used by the blog to give a color reference as it somehow trivializes the context of the pic."

    I have updated my post as i thought it would be good to include a link so everyone can read the story behind this photograph and see her today.
    Nessa xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nessa i have removed the photo and place a link to the story. just wish Suman had emailed us directly

      thanks

      jen

      Delete
    2. Hello Jen,I know you wouldn't have used the photograph if you had realised,lovely of you to take it off and I am sure that no one was offended at all :)
      Nessa xx

      Delete
    3. Hi Jen, I actually saw the pic first on Nessa's blog and so just commented there and after that Nessa took it from there. Happy that due to your posting the pic some more people are aware of 'The Afghan Girl'!!
      http://www.kalasirjana.blogspot.in/
      sumanpandit@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. Thank you for making me use my imagination again Ladies :D I enjoyed the challenge of these colours. Beautiful samples from you both :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having trouble linking for some reason so here's my simple card this week:
    http://wavesofcreativity.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/rusty-owl.html
    Great colour choice and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr Linky has returned! I actually thought the photo was hauntingly and sadly beautiful and in no way did it trivialize human suffering - instead I thought it served as a reminder how man can be so cruel to man. Great examples from you both this week - and am sure no one was offended by the posting of that lovely face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for linking back to the story behind the photograph. The picture was very familiar to me and yet I could not remember where I had seen it. I used to subscribe to National Geographic. Yes, it certainly has a haunting quality to it - very hard to forget.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: SPAM COMMENTS WILL NEVER BE PUBLISHED!

Thank you for your support and encouraging messages. We love to see you on our personal blogs too.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name and comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.